Thursday, September 20, 2012

Value Portraits Art Critique


Value Portraits Art Critique

                                                                                                                                                        
Self evaluation (must write at least 3 sentences for each question)

1. Explain the process you went through to develop your drawing.
           To develop my drawing I first had to use tracing paper and trace the basic outlines of my person, and I had to create different shapes where ever I saw value. Once I was finished with that I had to transfer my drawing into my sketchbook by covering the back of the tracing paper with pencil markings. After that I had to place the back of the tracing paper on my sketchbook and traced over all the lines I had created before. I then began to color in my drawing by adding different values to all the different shapes. To make it look more natural I had to blend in all my values with different ones by changing the pressure of my pencil. Lastly I made all final touches by darkening my darker values and blending everything more to make it look more cohesive.
2. Explain how you found the different values in the portrait?
        To find all the different values in my portrait I had to look closely at the picture of my person. Another way I used to find the value was by placing the portrait up to a window. When I did this the light was able to show all the darker and lighter values easier by illuminating my portraint. Once I did that I placed my tracing paper over my portrait and traced all of the different values I saw.
3.  Did you achieve a full range of the different values within your portrait?  How?
         I tried my best to reach a full range of different values in my portrait. I think I did work to the best of my abbilities, yet I do believe that I could have darkened my dark values more to really make my portrait pop. If I had made my darker values darker then I think that my portrait would have looked more life like. Even though I did not push my values to its full length I still think the final product of my portrait turned out pretty good. I was very pleased with my overall work of values on it.
4. Describe your craftsmanship.  Is the artwork executed and crafted neatly?
         I think my artwork was crafted neatly and executed properly. It definately does not look sloppy or like it was made in a couple of minutes. I believe that I worked to the best of my abilities and used multiple values in the portrait to really show the purpose of this project. In the end there were definately values in my overall portrait. Even thought there could have been more I think it turned out well and neat.
5. List any obstacles you had to overcome and how you dealt with them.
           Some obstacles I had to overcome had to due with the facial areas near the cheekbones. It was hard to show the darker values without making my portrait look unrealistic. I had to deal with his by trying to blend in my values even more. In the end I think my blending turned out well. Another issue I faced was figuring out which values were darker than others in the eyes because they looked so similar. I dealt with this by looking closely and just trying to blend all the values in to make everything look realistic. 


No comments:

Post a Comment